Interior and Exterior Painting in Whitby, Ontario

Call Now 289-274-9299

Are Your Walls Making You Sick?

It’s the time of year when we start to shut up our homes and turn up the heat. For many homes, the amount of cold and flu related illnesses can increase during the winter months. While it may be tempting to blame it on close quarters with germs at home, school, and work, there is the possibility that your walls are contributing to your problem. How can a wall make you sick? The paint on your wall could be hiding some toxic substances such as lead or mold. If you have had an increased amount of illness in your household, maybe you should look to your walls for some answers.
The Potential for Lead
If your home was built before 1978, there’s a good chance there is old lead paint lurking below the surface on your walls. Even if the paint was covered up by new paint, old lead paint can chip and leave behind toxic remnants. Removing old paint before adding new is a good idea to help prevent lead poisoning. Always have a certified and professional company assist with the removal of lead paint. If the paint is removed improperly, it could lead to toxic dust being released into the air of your home.
Don’t Just Mask the Mold
If you’ve ever experienced a leak or a small flood, mold might be lurking in your home. While covering up mold with a product like Kilz may seem to get rid of the problem it won’t stop a leak or what is causing the mold. Be sure to have your home checked for water leaks and damage when any kind of mold is found before just covering it up and hoping the problem will go away. For more help with potential toxins in your home, contact JK Paint and Contracting.